MindMaps [concept-based learning]
You’re going to feel tempted to skip this assignment. MindMapping has a hidden fear factor: Facing a blank page can be so intimidating! And you want me to use a marker instead of a pencil? Are you out of your Vulcan mind?
MindMaps are really hard to start because they call forth a process that is totally out of our control. We might make a mistake! Or worse… once they’re on paper, my ideas seem stupid. And most people have this inherent notion that they aren’t creative and certainly cannot draw.
No worries! Be fearless!
The gift of MindMapping is that we have no idea what will emerge! Creative processes are messy and chaotic and uncomfortable. Take courage and dive in with reckless abandon. It’s just a piece of paper and a marker. You don’t even have to show it to anyone. And under no circumstances should it be perfect. MindMaps are just how they are.
READ then DRAW [Yes! You can draw!]
- Find more background info on Mindmapping.com: http://www.mindmapping.com/.
- Learn more about educational consultant Rich Cash: http://nrichconsulting.com/.
- Lynn Erickson teaches Concept-based Learning strategies: http://www.lynnerickson.net/.
- Create your own DIY MindMap. You will need a piece of plain paper [maybe 2 or 3] and a pen or marker that is un-erasable. [We frequently make up our own words 🙂]
- Your focus question [in the center of the paper] is: Why do I need DT?
- Your 5 Connected Why’s lead to this question: What are the benefits of DT?
- If you have no idea what any of this means, go back and watch the video again. After that if you still have more questions, email me and I will walk you through it over the phone: Elaine@neversummerdschool.com.
- Identify and connect the Big Ideas. Write a short phrase or sentence to define and describe.
- Formulate the BHAQs [aka Big Hairy Audacious Questions]. Write the BHAQs on your MindMap.
- Voila! You have used DT to find problems that need solutions!
ACTION [to get your CEU’s]
In the comment section, write your answers to these questions:
- What new insight about yourself did you gain through DIY MindMap?
- Of the Big Idea questions you generated, which seem most urgent to address? Why?
- Other comments about JumpStart so far?