Brain ToD [Brain Toads]
The brain is such an incredible and vital part of the human body and yet we know relatively little about how it really functions. Scientists tell us that the average brain does not mature until the mid-20’s or even beyond. If we can foster healthy, positive brain development, then we can help maximize the potential of young minds.
Knowledge is power. When students understand how their brains work and what helps their brains work better, they become empowered with confidence in their abilities and move closer toward growth mindset. Brain ToD’s are a simple but effective way to teach them these complex ideas.
BYOBToD [of homework]
Research your own Brain ToD. Here are a few suggested websites:
- Everyday Brain Fitness: http://www.brainhq.com/brain-resources/everyday-brain-fitness.
- Cool Brain Facts and Myths: http://www.brainhq.com/brain-resources/cool-brain-facts-myths.
- Brain Facts: 36 Facts about the Brain: http://www.factslides.com/s-Brain.
- 100 Fascinating Facts You Never Knew about the Brain: http://www.nursingassistantcentral.com/blog/2008/100-fascinating-facts-you-never-knew-about-the-human-brain/.
- BrainFacts.org: http://www.brainfacts.org/.
- Pick one Brain ToD that you find especially interesting and write a brief description in your own language. Try to keep it less than about 300 words or what you could say to someone in 3 minutes or less. Use these criteria:
- Why is this important?
- What can you do with this tidbit of information?
ACTION [to get your CEU’s]
Add your Brain ToD to the Google doc. [Google doc will be up shortly.]
In the comment section, write your answers to these questions:
- How will you use Brain ToD’s in your setting?
- How might they be important to you and/or your students’ learning?
Brain ToD Google doc will be up shortly.
This is your last assignment for JumpStart: DT Primer. If you have completed all four ACTION projects then your CEU certificate will be on the way shortly. Feel free to go back and finish any projects that you may have missed. As always, email us if you have any questions: